Vastu Tips for Kitchen
Vastu Shastra, which advocates the design and construction of buildings in harmony with the natural laws of the universe, has several guidelines for the open and closed kitchen, so that the home has the right kind of energy and positivity.
Good health is the key to staying positive and happy and leading a contented life.
It would not be an overstatement to declare the kitchen as the most important part of a house. This is the place from where the fuel to nourish our body and soul comes. This is why it is of utmost importance to construct this part in such a way that all the positive energy surrounds it. Vastu would help you do that.
- It’s best to place your kitchen in the South-East direction, as this is where Agni or the lord of fire reigns supreme.
- Kitchen located in the South-East zone provides fuel for all endeavours and keeps the mental and physical strength in sync.
- West zone is also good. It promotes gains, good health, physically and financially.
- Kitchen in the South-West zone is a taboo as it is considered as a zone of waste and disposal. It is exceedingly harmful to all aspects of life
- North-East zone is another location that should be avoided for kitchen as it brings mental turmoil – fire in the place of water – and can cause brain-related ailments.
- Kitchen in the North zone affects new opportunities in career, growth and money. Businessmen will see their sales plummet. For people on the job, it will bring in problems with boss as it blocks growth in career.
- The gas stove should be in southeast corner, a few inches away from the wall.
- It should not be in front of the main door of the kitchen.
- Gas stove or any other cooking material should be placed in such a way as allows the cook to face only towards the East while cooking.
- If the lady faces west while cooking, it may lead to health problems.
- Cooking with face towards the south may lead to financial problems in the family. No shelf should be placed above cooking gas.
Positioning of Gas and Electrical Appliances:
Place your cooking stove in the south east corner of your kitchen. In addition to gas, all electrical appliances should be placed in the south-east direction.
- Colors play a vital role in Vastu Shastra. Kitchen being a warm place should have warm color shades like orange, yellow and hues of brown.
- There should be no blue as it represents water which is an anti-fire element.
- Green, however, can be used to fix Vastu defects, if required.
- It should not be black as far as possible.
Sink (wash basin) should be in north-east corner as far as possible.
The storage racks should be made on southern or western wall Essential commodities like boxes of grain, spices, pulses, etc. should be in south or west direction. The water source including pitcher, water filter, etc. may be kept in north-east.
Importance of Vastu-Compliant Kitchens
Let's take a look at some of the drawbacks of kitchens that are not Vastu-Compliant:
- Health issues for the cook and head of the household causing lethal diseases and untimely death.
- Financial loss creating a situation where one reaches the state of bankruptcy.
- Family disputes and situations where in married people go for divorce.
These are a few common vastu defects that every individual must avoid while planning their kitchen, According to Vastu Shastra:
- Placing the kitchen above or below a toilet or bed room is one of the most severe vastu defects. Also, the prayer room should not be above the kitchen sink or stove as it brings bad luck and drains wealth.
- The kitchen and toilet should not share a common wall. Both these vastu defects have a direct bearing on the health of the occupants.
- The kitchen should never be situated in the North East or North as this adversely affects one's career.
- The kitchen should not face the main door of the house.
- The kitchen and bathroom door should not be opposite to each other.